When I found out the conference was in San Diego this year, I thought it was the perfect excuse for a family vacation. A little bit of work and a little bit of play. My husband and three small children (ages six, three, and six months) will be driving with me from Phoenix this year.
If you are also planning to bring kids here are some things you may want to consider for your family:
1. San Deigo Zoo is a must on our list. It’s arguably the best zoo in the U.S and will be 100 years old in 2016. I am going to try this on a Thursday, hoping to avoid peak weekend crowds.
2. Sea World is another kiddie favorite. It is close to the conference center and another great option. I use this website to find deals for admission: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/seaworld.com
3. Legoland is on our list too, although just having done DisneyWorld 2 weeks ago is not on the top of out list this trip. If you haven’t been it’s great for kids and adults and is a great theme park.
4. Beaches are another must, and we plan on stopping to play on Mission and possibly Pacific beach too for some sandcastles and seashell collecting.
5. Belmont Park is another good place to visit with kids for the amusement park rides, food, and shopping. There is something for everyone there. http://www.belmontpark.com/
If the family is not coming this year, you may want to consider bringing in the month of October, when there are several kids get in free promotions at major attractions like the zoo.